For decades, SunTrust followed a common business strategy in the commercial banking industry: productize as many services and offerings as possible and outsource those applications from 3rd party vendors. The result of this is a large, complex ecosystem of applications that has struggled to meet the technical and experiential expectations of today’s business users. Among other frustrations, users have grown tired of having to memorize multiple credentials across multiple applications just to carry out their day-to-day business operations.
While the ultimate vision is to build a platform that consolidates this ecosystem into a single offering or small suite of products, a digital transformation of that scale will take years to complete. Before I started working at SunTrust, SunView was developed as an intermediary solution that would allow users to SSO (single sign-on) into various applications.
When SunView was being piloted, we used what was called the Client Data Utility (CDU) tool to migrate customers to the new platform. However, the CDU tool was riddled with issues that led to many failed migrations, and scaling was a concern: client services teammates were able to manage the tool when migrating one or two pilot clients at a time, but they were concerned that the tool would not be able to handle our 10,000+ commercial clients. We set out to built a new solution so we could manage the migration process better and get clients onboarded faster.
The initial product strategy was to transition cohorts of clients to the new platform in four phases, which would have been a logistical nightmare. So, I conceptualized, pitched, and delivered a simplified workflow that allowed us to onboard any client in a single phase.
I led the discovery, design strategy, and interaction design for this project. I partnered with a UI Designer (Ajanae Carswell) who delivered high-fidelity mocks. As the design lead, I worked closely with my product manager and engineers to create features and define the processes that help teammates onboard and provide support to clients. I also worked with our solutions architect to ensure that the architectural model could facilitate these flows and interactions.
What I did
• Influenced product strategy through design proposals.
• Uncovered pain points for internal users through generative studies, and shared findings with my scrum team.
• Collaborated with our internal teams to assess, dissect, and improve the data and workflow needs of our internal users.
• Established a dual-track design/development process with my scrum team. Read about that process here →
• Led work sessions to bring clarity and alignment by diagramming workflows and visualizing complex problems.
• Prototyped solutions in Adobe XD, and coordinated usability testing with researcher(s).
• Reduced time to migrate existing SunTrust clients to SSO platform.
• Improved overall agile development process within scrum team.
• After launch, evaluated the shortcomings of the final product, which provided a baseline and starting point for a similar product for Truist.